Saturday, February 8, 2014

What Factors Make Individuals Want To Teach?

One of the main reasons why individuals decide to pursue a career in education is because the need for qualified teachers is increasing significantly. This factor is very important because college students and recent college graduates may be concerned about the risk of their being unemployed upon finishing their career programs. Although this concept was not the deciding reason for my wanting to be a special education teacher, I have been told by my parents and family members that there is an especially high need for these kinds of teachers due to the increasing recognition of various learning disabilities that children may have. I do, however, understand how people may want to be educators for this reason, as this particular job provides individuals a sense of safety from the threat of losing work while still giving them the opportunity to have a professional career.

Another reason why individuals may desire to pursue this occupation is that teachers have the power to train their students to play instrumental roles in society. For example, elementary school teaches may teach hundreds (if not thousands) of students over the course of their careers. Through their work, they teach these students the essential mathematics and literary skills that they will need when they are adults. This results in students using these skills to assist them with their own careers. For example, students who I may have in my first days as a teacher may become important figures in society, such as the doctors who care for their fellow citizens when they are ill and the police officers who protect their cities from criminals. If I was to encounter a previous student who eventually had an esteemed career, I would feel a sense of pride of the work that I did in order to prepare this student for said career, and I would imagine that most teachers would experience similar feelings.




No comments:

Post a Comment